Sunday, July 27, 2008

Stares and dumb questions

When you are out with your family, do you ever get stares? We get them all the time. They seem to have increased with the addition of my second daughter. The 'cold' stares as I like to call them aren't always from Caucasian people, they can also come from Asians, especially Chinese women. The stares don't necessarily bother me. Two gorgeous Chinese daughters walking around with me all day is like having a moonbeam on my shoulder. They bless me with their presence, and I am forever grateful to be their mother. Yet, I often wonder how they will react when the moment of awakening comes for them. That moment when they realize that the majority of children look like their parents. How will they handle the cold stares and invasive questions. Today, while shopping in Target, the cashier, a woman, asked me in front of my daughters and another customer if the girls were mine or adopted. I looked at her and said, "They are mine AND they are adopted. I am their forever mommy." The cashier, trying to save face, replied, "Oh, that's what I meant."

4 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

we receive lots of looks having four children; but most are warm stares not cold.
Glad the potty training is going so well:)

The Byrd's Nest said...

We have received in fact some cold stares from Asian families, mostly Chinese families. We have noticed that Korean people will actually ask us about Emma Jane and Lottie instead of just looking.

Great news on the potty training....we are not even that close yet!

Kimmie said...

Hmm, I understand what you are sharing-people ask me all the time which children are mine of my 6. I just say they all are and aren't I blessed. Sometimes I say that I have 5 adopted and 1 homemade, but I forget which ;-)
My heart is a little concerned with our current adoption...not that we have any troubles, people are people -all gifts in different wrapping paper, but the thoughtless questions and stares do make me protective-though certainly I always want to give God glory and point all people to Him.
Love conquers all-test it and see!
xoxo
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

tiffany said...

Oh we just constantly get that stuff and I can never believe it when after I answer, they PERSIST. They are just sure they arent "real" siblings or some other such thing and they really want to get it out of me. I can not fathom why they think any of it is their business. The funny thing is, my husband gets NONE of that when its just him out with the kids. I am thinking I need to look a little more grumpy instead of so friendly and open. LOL