Monday, January 7, 2008

We made it out of the nursery . . .

Since moving to IL, I have been taking my daughters to a really nice Lutheran church. The congregation is small, yet warm and friendly. Since we joined in October, I have made few attempts to sit with the rest of the congregation, usually spending all my time with my daughters in the nursery. Up until now, I didn't feel that Little Sister was ready to leave the confines of the nursery and sit in public. This past Sunday, I went to church equipped with a collection of quiet toys, a sippy cup full of water and a few snacks. The result was a complete success! We made it through the entire service and even participated in the weekly communion.

It's amazing how a small box of crayons can satisfy the curiosity of a toddler. Little Sister must have emptied and refilled the tiny crayon box a dozen times. Big Sister also enjoyed the opportunity to sit with the adults and did a fine job of showing her sister how to behave in a public setting. I did cautiously sit between them though, just in case. You never know what could develop with two young sisters sitting side by side each competing for the same box of crayons.

3 comments:

Alex Elliot said...

That's great! We had to leave our Christmas Eve service early.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on reaching this milestone! I remember being a litlel girl and sitting with my Onnie (grandmother) and Grandpa during mass. She used to pack little baggies with our favorite cookies from Chinatown for my brother and I.

Michelle said...

Good for you! My girls love packing up their "purses" for church.