Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chart Crazy

Little Sister started off with one potty chart. Now, she has three more charts, one for whining, one for her tantrums, and one for calming herself down. Why all the charts you may be asking? Well, it could have something to do with the fact that I am a teacher, and teachers are notorious for loving charts. The main reason however is because I simply can't stand the whining anymore. The combination of being "2" and having a speech delay creates a monotonous series of daily whining in Little Sister's world. I tried time-outs, and they simply don't work. They stop the behavior for a few minutes, but they don't change it. She still whines so now I've decided to try to catch her being good, and work hard for the reward which happens to be a sticker each time she gets through a day without exhibiting 'bad' behavior.

Today, my little darling earned four stickers. One for each of her charts. Yeh, she didn't whine today! No whining means no tantrums! Hurray! I can end my day with happy satisfaction knowing that some progress was made. Let's hope that tomorrow is another winning day for Shugs and I.

4 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

great! Yes I have found rewards work best too. That is wonderful!

day by day said...

wow...no whining all day! That is quite an accomplishment!! We have not tried the sticker charts, yet...maybe we should! : )

Kim said...

Thanks for the great idea!

Four stickers in one day and no whining - WOW!

Anonymous said...

What about making her visuals or communication boards so she can point to her needs. I teach autistic children and it is a great way to communicate.
Christy Bailey in Virginia