Thursday, March 13, 2008

Help, my kids are driving me batty!

Dear Moms,

I need your help! Although I love having two daughters, I will admit that life was much simpler and more peaceful when there was only one. My girls are getting better at playing with each other, but it seems like they are constantly fighting over toys. Little Sister (LS) wants whatever Big Sister (BS) has in her hand at the moment. If she doesn't get it, she gets mad and starts whining, screaming or crying. I, the mommy and mediator, have tried several techniques, including getting BS to give into LS, making LS return the item she grabbed out of her big sister's hand, setting the timer so that each one can take a turn with the toy, and when all else fails, taking the object away from both of them.

I know that some of my blogger friends have families much larger than mine with more than two kids. How do you do it? Can you offer me some advice on getting my kids to play nicely without constantly battling it out over a toy?

Yours truly,

Ashley

5 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

Aargh! This is really hard and for me I would just tell Lottie and Emma when they began fighting over it that the one who had it first could play with it. WHEN that person was finished then the other child could play with the item. Most of the time I found that they just wanted to take it out of each other's hands and promote that screaming etc. when it was actually time for the child who was waiting for the toy to have it...she didn't want it anymore!

Of course, this takes alot of work on Mommy's part because you have to always be consistent and never give in to them.

Jeff and Amy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, your daughters are just beautiful!!! Oh I recognized that referral picture, oh how they change and blossom into little angels. My boys who are 19 and 17 were they same way at around 2 and 4, now they are argueing about who is wearing who's shirt??!!!!!

Deb said...

I wish I had an answere for you, I only have one daughter, hope you find a technique that works for you.

Anonymous said...

I think it is the age of the youngest here and the fact that Big Sister is adjusting to a little person who constantly wants her things, after being an only child at home. I remember two year olds, until about 3.5, need a ton of coaching on sharing (and time outs) until they move through the MINE stage (this has not happened with Jane because she is so much younger, but all my other kiddos went through this!). Good luck, it really will get better with age :)!!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I agree with the previous comment that it takes coaching. Which means mommy has to spend the time doing it! However, a few "planned" sessions should make a big difference.

~Lynn