Friday, March 14, 2008

Cover Story - A Day in the life of the Cruises


What makes a great stay-at-home mom? Could it be someone who gets up in the middle of the night, forgoing sleep to care for her sick child, or perhaps a mother who comforts her child when she is scared or upset. If you ask most school-age kids, they will probably tell you that a great SAHM is someone who has cookies waiting for them after school. According to Life & Style magazine, a great stay-at-home mom is someone who "still runs around the house in sweatpants and gym socks." Who could they be talking about? I run around my house in sweatpants and gym socks as does many of my friends. No, it's not me, it's Katie Holmes, of course!

The article is absolutely hilareous. In fact so is the entire magazine which I had never picked up before last week. I will admit though that I am completely addicted to People magazine. It's my weekly escape and something that I look forward to after putting the kids to bed. I love reading the articles about real-life heroes as well as the struggles and successes of today's celebrity. The difference between the two magazines is clear. People magazine credits their sources and the articles are written by 'real' authors. Life & Style magazine is thrown together, poorly written and has no solid foundation. All of the information comes from so-called 'insiders' whom readers are suppose to believe are people working for the celebrity.

Life & Style magazine describe Holmes by stating that, "her life is glamarous, but she's careful not to get too carried away. She doesn't do things like laundry or wash dishes, but she does draw her own bath and pick up the phone when it rings." This statement could be describing anyone from Mattel's Barbie doll to Paris Hilton. The funniest thing about it is the subtitle, "Stay-at-home mom." Please, the one thing I do know about Katie Holmes is that she is not staying at home with her kids, day in and day out. She's a celebrity married to a celebrity. They are constantly traveling the world working on projects and vacationing.

Why do people read these trashy magazines? Yes, although I love reading People, some well-educated folks out there could call it trashy too! I guess we read them to relax and take our minds off our own problems for a while. It's entertainment, pure and simple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit it! Those magazines draw me too. Katie is living the SAHM life that I have a hard time counting- no dishes, no laundry...are you kidding me? That is the whole tension we find ourselves in! I loved your take on this :). And to be honest, I would not mind traveling all over the world celebrity style, and having someone do the laundry!