Friday, January 11, 2008

Happy Half Birthday to ME!



I decided this year to find ways to add a little extra happiness to our lives by celebrating half birthdays. With a July 1st birthday, my half birthday would actually be New Year's Day, January 1st which is kind of neat if you think about it! We didn't celebrate on 1/1 though because I came up with the idea afterward and decided that my half birthday celebration doesn't necessarily have to be on the exact halfway mark, but somewhere during that month. Tonight, after dinner, I surprised my daughters with some treats from our local bakery, an Elmo cookie for Little Sister (LS) and a Hannah Montana cookie for Big Sister (BS). Yes, I was shocked too by the Hannah Montana cookie that was completely edible! For my choice in celebrating my year 38 1/2, as I now look forward to "39" forever, I indulged in a delicious Napoleon.

The party was small and very intimate with just my daughters and I, singing, "Happy Half Birthday Mommy." I blew out a candle, made a wish, and had Big Sister dictate a letter to me that I plan to keep for eternity. It says:

Dear Mommy,

I love you! I love you!
You are fun. You give me great hugs and kisses.

Love,
Big Sister

Little Sister has given me a few wonderful gifts herself lately, finally saying, "Mama" in her sweet, adorable voice, but the icing on the cake came in the form of little kisses bestowed upon me tonight from both of my girls. Life is sweet!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Half Birthday! Why not celebrate your birth twice a year? I like it!

alisonwonderland said...

what a great idea, Ashley! i might have to do this with my kids.

Lisa said...

Happy 1/2 birthday to you! That is so funny, because we celebrate our 1/2 birthday's too. The kids love it and we make a special day out of it!