Friday, September 28, 2007

Social butterfly gravitates toward the boys

Big sister (BS) started pre-K this week, preschool for kids ages 4-5. This is her second year attending, but a new school since we moved. The school is nicely equipped with a separate library, play area, and art and music room. BS loves it! On Monday when I brought her in for the first time, two little girls approached her and asked if she wanted to play. She did happily. By midweek, BS started telling me that she had two new friends, both boys. I thought that was good. It's always nice for her to have both boys and girls to play with. After school, when I picked her up, a little boy named Joey gave BS a picture he colored just for her. She smiled, thanked him and took it.

Later, while we were getting ready for the ice cream social at her school, BS wanted to put barrettes in her hair. I said, "Oh do you want to look nice for anyone in particular, maybe the boy who gave you the picture?" She said, "No Mommy, there's another boy named Will who I really like." Oh boy, my preschooler is already dating, Lord help me!!

The story gets better or worse depending upon your perspective.

When we arrived home, I asked BS if she had seen any of the little girls she played with earlier in the week. She shrugged and said, "They don't want to play with me now." I asked her why and she acted as though she didn't know. This started me thinking about her last preschool and how all of her friends were boys. It was the same story. The girls didn't care to play with her and she was fine with that. Fine? Fine? What happens in middle school when it's no longer cool for boys and girls to be seen playing together? Maybe, I had better sign her up for the dance class now (ha, ha!) Seriously, I think it's wonderful that she can play nicely with both boys and girls. I just hope she doesn't exclude girls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your daughter sounds like a hoot. My kind of girl!!

Marlee

Anonymous said...

My daughter was just the opposite, scared to death of boys. Every child is different.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Too funny :)!