Wednesday, August 22, 2007

FIRST FLIGHT WITH TWO!

Last week, in an attempt to visit my sister and meet her brand new daughter, I flew out to Chicago with both daughters and no other adult companion. It was nerve-wracking to say the least. I love to travel, but will confess that I have never been relaxed about it. Once I'm on the plane, I am usually fine, but getting to the airport, waiting in line for security and going through security have always been stressful. Add one 4 1/2 year-old drama queen and one teething 16 month-old to the mix, and suddenly, we have created a truly frazzled mama!

Going wasn't too bad. Everything was fine except when Big Sister (BS) had a meltdown while waiting in the security line because she dropped and lost her Aquadoodle pen. Yes! People were looking and wondering what she was so upset about. Even the security person came up to us and asked to see my driver's license. Then proceeded to ask BS if she knew who the lady in the license was. Thank God, she whispered, "It's my mommy." If she didn't recognize me, who knows what would have happened next.

A few days later, on the return trip home, BS was well-behaved, but Little Sister (LS) decided to throw a few full-blown temper tantrums. She was overly-exhausted and the day of travel cut-into her nap time. After screaming non-stop for about 10-15 minutes on the airplane, she finally collapsed in my arms and fell asleep. In fact, both kids slept for 30 minutes.

I learned a few valuable lessons this week. Never travel without another adult companion, never travel until both kids are at least 3-years-old and make sure your (adopted) children see your driver's license before you leave home because you never know if some idiot will think you are kidnapping your own children.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me last year. Flying was a real disaster with my kids. Wouldn't it be nice if the airlines provided children with some type of fun packet to entertain them? Might also make the other passengers happy not to hear little ones crying as much. Just a thought.

Cindy

Alex Elliot said...

They asked your 4 year old daughter to identify who you were?!

Ashley Winters said...

Yes, they actually had the nerve to ask my daughter if she knew the lady in the picture. It really irks me and makes me wonder if parents with bio children receive the same treatment.