Monday, May 26, 2008

One year ago today



China trip, one week after adoption.



Last week, celebrating our Forever Family Day, with her new baby doll and stroller.

One year ago today, on March 26th, I returned from my second, two-week trip to China with a beautiful, yet deeply sad and fearful baby girl. She barely slept in China, and only about three hours on our long fifteen hour flight back to the United States. She was intensely frightened when I got her and angry. Although I had read many books and articles on adoption and attachment, I was completely unprepared for the challenge God gave me. Last summer was rough. She was a clingy, "velcro baby," grabbing onto my shirt collar all day long. I prayed to God, asking for help. He listened and over time, my precious daughter relaxed, learned how to trust me, and became a much calmer, happier child. Now, one year later, she is extremely affectionate and sweet, always wanting to help Mama in any way that she can, especially unloading the bags of groceries. This past weekend, we went to Home Depot to buy carpet cleaner for the steam vacuum and she insisted on carrying the container for me. She is only two-years-old, and the container was quite heavy for her, but she was determined to carry it for me. That's just the way she is with me and her sister, always wanting to help and take care of us. She also has a great sense of humor, one that usually has us in stitches. Out of nowhere, she will make a funny face or sound that will start us laughing. I feel so incredibly blessed to be her mother.

As the old saying goes, a picture tells a thousand words. Here are two photos of my lovely little girl, one from last year, and one from last weekend. I can so clearly see the difference one year of love can make in a child's life. For anyone who has yet to get their referral and meet their new child, please expect the unexpected and know that love will find a way to help your little flower blossom.

6 comments:

Michelle R Photography said...

Thanks for stopping by. Your girls are beautiful. Happy Family Day! Isn't it amazing what a difference love can make?

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what love can do in the life of a person!! Your daughters are so beautiful. Congratulations on your one year anniversary.

I hope that you have a very blessed week,

Krista

tracey said...

I am so glad I found you blog. I love reading about your family. Your daughters are beautiful. I am adding you to my list of favorite blog so that I can keep up with your family.

Jeff and Amy said...

How sweet, amazing how a year and alot of loving brings out the beautiful spirit of these sweet angels. She is just adorable.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but think of the song, when Love Takes You In. Your little one is so cute and I can't belive the changes a year could make in a life, but I can belive the changes a mommy can make! A big hug to you as I remember today, with you, some of your journey! Love the top picture at your banner!

Michelle said...

She is so adorable and you are a great mom. I'm glad things are going well for both of you.