Friday, May 9, 2008

One of those days. . .

Today started out being a very good day. I woke up early and drove to the social security office so that I could finally obtain a card for Little Sister. The traffic flow wasn't too heavy and I found the office without any problem. Once inside, I was happily surprised to see that I was only one of two customers. Usually government offices are packed, especially on a Friday. I kept thinking, "Wow, can my morning get any better." After I left the building, I decided to head over to our local library to work on my resume. (I'm still looking for a job!) As I left the library, I started rummaging through my pockets and pocketbook looking for my keys when suddenly I realized that they were not with me. I panicked and walked over to my car. As I peered inside, I could see them laying on the passenger seat right where I left them. Oh crap! Now what I thought! I immediately called my sister. No answer. Then I called her husband who just so happened to be at the same library as me at the exact time. Okay, I thought, maybe we can get out of this jam. My brother-in-law, who is always calm in a time of crisis, gave me his keys so that I could drive his car to my house and look for my spare key. Sounds like a great plan, doesn't it? I drove home, found 'the key' and returned back to the library with rapid speed only to discover that the key didn't fit my car and wasn't the right 'key' after all. Moving past crap at this point to more complex cursing in my head, I returned the key to my brother-in-law and then walked back into the library and asked the librarian for help. She called the non-emergency police line and within minutes, not one, but two elderly gentlemen arrived one after another on their motorized police vehicles to rescue a damsel in distress. Okay, it wasn't really that glamorous. The cops could have been my dad or grandad. I guess the good-looking, younger officers were assisting someone who really needed help. At any rate, I now have my keys and will be more careful about taking them with me in the future.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Glad to hear you were able to get back into your car...eventually. I have one of those magnetic key cases for just that reason. The problem is I haven't had the key cut for it yet so rather than having it hidden under my car it's still sits empty in the garage. Hmmm...will take care of that this weekend.

Hope today is a good day for you!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Thankful you could get in....even though it took some time. I get so mad at myself when I do that!

Anonymous said...

Oh there are days like this, I know!!

Happy Mother's DAy!!

RamblingMother said...

That is why I have the outside code for the door. I am notorious for locking the keys in the car, the house or in any other place they can be locked. Glad it worked out finally.

alisonwonderland said...

i can't count the number of times that i've locked my keys in the car - once with my newborn baby! i'm glad you got rescued! :)