Saturday, April 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Mei-Mei

This past Saturday (April 12th), we celebrated my daughter's second birthday. She has been home now for almost 11 months and has come a long, long way. When we adopted her last May, she came to us like a wounded bird, fearful, distrusting and angry. I didn't know what to make of her. Her issues seemed overwhelming to me, the intense jealousy she felt toward any affection I gave her sister, her desire to control my every move, and the deep sadness that permeated her dark eyes. I searched high and low for answers and prayed daily, asking God to help us both. He did! The first gift he gave me was the realization that in order for me to help Little Sister with her problems, I had to first accept her, tantrums and all. I had to love her enough to help her heal. To move past her birthmother abandoning her at two months of age, and from the neglect and abuse she suffered in the orphanage during her eleven month stay there. After I accepted her, I fell in love with her, but let her know upfront that Mommy was in charge. Her tantrums and screaming were not permitted. She had to learn to trust in me as well as the other adults in her life, a new concept for her, but one that is beginning to form. With a lot of patience, prayer, Early Intervention, holding therapy and her beloved blankie, she has become happier, more confident and sweet. I look forward to seeing her continue to flourish over the years and hope that her early life's pain can somehow be erased or softened from her memory. Here are some photos from her bithday and one from Gotcha Day.



Little Sister on her adoption day. She was the saddest little girl that I have ever seen.



All smiles!



The Birthday Girl!



Having fun with her sister and cousins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I discovered your blog from a comment you left on Kimmie's at Over the Moon with Joy. Your daughters are so beautiful, you are a very blessed Mommy!
Love, Velvia