Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jon & Kate: How do they do it?



Is there anyone who hasn't seen the TV show, Jon & Kate Plus 8? New episodes appear on TLC each Monday night. Discovery Health has also started airing the show. Can you even imagine starting off with a set of twins and then bringing home six more babies a few years later? That's an awful lot of diapers and bottles we are talking about here. Forget about breastfeeding! I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it all, but I have to admit that the Gosselin family seems to have parenting under control. Last night, I watched the episode where they actually took all eight children to Disney World for a family vacation. A few of Jon and Kate's adult friends came along to help out. I guess that's definitely needed for such an outing. Still, I often have wondered how do they do it? The children are not only beautiful, but also clean, neatly dressed and happy. Their mom, Kate Gosselin, offers some excellent advice that we all could benefit from, regardless of how big or small our family is with her tips for a "Smooth Household," as found on this Discovery Channel website. They include:

#1 - Organize
#2 - Shop on a budget
#3 - Prepare for outings
#4 - Count your blessings
#5 - Promote safety
#6 - Provide order
#7 - Reward your children
#8 - Make housework a family affair

Watching Jon & Kate with their family is inspiring. This couple was given literally the suprise of their lives by unexpectedly expecting six babies at once. They have handled the situation with love, patience and grace - at least from one viewer's perspective. Here's my list on why the Gosselin family appear to be so successful:

#1 - Jon and Kate are a team, committed to marriage and raising their children together.

#2 - They share a mutual faith in our lord, living as Christians.

#3 - Kate is extremely organized, hence the list above.

5 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh yea...I have taped this show and watched it! I have two 3 yr. olds and somedays we barely make it to bedtime. I don't know how they do it! I guess it is just called survival!!

Have you seen the one where she cleans her kitchen floor many times in ONE day on her hands and knees so that it is perfectly clean?????

Kimmie said...

I was watching it last night (a question and answers show...not sure of the theme, as I only caught the end) but loved the fact that she had people who came in and did her zillions of loads of laundry (well 9 loads) and another lady who came to put it away- now that is a smart mama!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Catherine said...

Love this show and learn so much from them! Phew....glad I'll only have 1 to start with!

Jeff and Amy said...

Love that show, have watched it for the last year. When I am overwhelmed I think of her and quickly remember how easy I have it. LOL Loved the new episode where they went skiing, I cannot imagine!!!!!

The luckiest mommy in the world said...

Oh man, I don't know how the heck she does it. I feel like I should be bowing down to her. I have trouble keeping one little busy toddler going. She is sooooooo organized. I watch the show all the time just to see how she handles situations. There is no book that can top watch she is actually accomplishing.

Thanks for sharing and reminding me how good she is **grin**

Deb