Monday, January 28, 2008

Dear Birthmother Poem


This lovely poem comes from Love's Journey II. It is written by Karen Ellard.

Dear Birthmother (or I'll Always Wonder)

For 10 days you held her.
For 10 days you kept her safe and warm.
I wonder what you did during your time together. Who knew?
Did you make a choice or bend to forces beyond your control?

Did you wonder what would become of her?
Wonder because she is a girl? An orphan?
Wonder because of a medical condition?
I will always wonder what you thought and know that I'll never know.

Did you worry about what her future held?
A waiting child in a sea of children
Did you kiss her 12 toes, loving her?
Worrying that she would spend her days alone

Did you hope against hope that she would find a home?
Someone to accept and love your daughter
Know that I kissed those 12 Little toes
And sobbed when we "fixed" them.

Would it ease your pain to know that I hold her every night?
Your baby, my baby, our baby
Know that she is happy, safe and loved.
Above all she is cherished.

Nothing can erase your sorrow, but...
Would it ease your pain to know that she is loved?

That baby that you had to leave with such uncertainty is
home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ashley.

Just as Jing's birth mother must think often of the daughter she gave life to, I think of her, the birthmother of my daughter, almost every single day. This life she gave, has cost her a great price and brought me unspeakable gratitude.