Monday, December 10, 2007

Update on Little Sister




A few weeks ago, I started holding therapy with Little Sister (LS). At first, I was completely against holding until I read the book, Holding Time by Martha Welch, M.D. and understood the concept better. Some children who are traumatized early in life have difficulty forming secure attachments. Luckily, LS desperately wants my love and is bonded to me. The problem is that she does not trust the fact that I will always be there for her. Instead of accepting my unconditional love, she tries to control my every move and becomes jealous when I give attention or affection elsewhere, a common trait in children with attachment disorders and post traumatic stress disorder! She needs security. Holding therapy teaches children that their caregiver (mom or dad) will be there no matter what they do or how they feel. At first, LS would rage (scream violently) when I held her, but now she is starting to accept it more and relax. Throughout the day, she makes more eye contact with me and will give me lots of hugs and kisses without prompting. Suddenly, I am seeing a much happier, more secure baby. Holding therapy is working!

2 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

I am so glad you have found an answer that is working for you and little sister.

Anonymous said...

You are the second person who has highly recommended this book. I must look for it! LS is looking darling!