Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sign Language = Success in Non-Verbal Toddler

Little Sister (LS) just turned 20 months old yesterday! It's hard to believe that in four months, she will be two years-old already! I know that some parents dread that stage, but I am looking forward to it because I hope it leads to her talking more. Today, after being home for seven months, she can still only say a handful of words and not consistently. I feel that many of her frustrations and meltdowns stem from the fact that she can't say what's on her mind. She spent the first few months just moaning and groaning all day. I called Early Intervention back in September and had her assessed. They agreed that she definitely has a speech delay in conjunction with the tantrums, however, they have yet to come here and start therapy. Week after week, I call them and they always have some excuse why they can't start. I guess they are backlogged!

In the meantime, I have started learning and teaching LS baby sign language. For the past three weeks, we have been renting every video the library has and watching them. LS absolutely loves watching the videos and is starting to sign on her own now! It's glorious to know that she can communicate her basic needs (eat, drink, milk, more, play, etc.) and to see the pride on her face when she knows that I understand her. For Christmas, I am buying her a baby sign book on colors, and one on things in our neighborhood, along with a video of her own.

Since learning some of the basic signs, Little Sister's behavior has changed greatly. She is much happier and calmer, having less tantrums each week. I am convinced that her lack of communication played a huge role in our struggles. You can't imagine how much I long for the day when I hear her beautiful little voice say, "Mamma, I love you!" I know it's coming, but for now, I'm happy seeing her give a sign.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also had to wait for months before Early Intervention would come help us. I would keep pestering them!

mommy24treasures said...

thats wonderful! Jacob was a VERY late talker and we had frustration tantrums as well.

Michelle said...

Isn't signing wonderful?

I have been trying to get my 15 month old to sign...I have had babies as young as 9-10 months signing...but this boy refuses. I think he has too many siblings who give him what he wants when he screams. I guess it's working for him:-)