Sunday, November 25, 2007

What Led Me to Adoption

When friends, acquaintances and family first heard that I was adopting four years ago, they often asked many questions. People still occasionally ask questions or hint around that they would like to better understand why some families chose adoption. Today, I will give some answers that reflect my personal feelings:

DID YOU HAVE FERTILITY PROBLEMS:

Yes

DID YOU UNDERGO TREATMENT FOR YOUR PROBLEMS:

To some extent; never tried invitro or had invasive surgery

WHEN DID YOU FIRST CONSIDER ADOPTION:

I believe that God planted the idea of adoption in my head when I was a little girl. My parents had several friends who had adopted children. It just seemed natural to me. In fact, my Barbie dolls always had both bio and adopted children.

WHY CHINA:

When my first marriage ended at the age of 30, I had planned to adopt a child on my own when I could financially afford it. My sister brought me home an article about Chinese adoption. At that time, they accepted single women, starting at the age of 35. It seemed a perfect solution! (China has since changed their rules. Singles can no longer adopt!)

DO YOU FEEL THAT YOU MISSED OUT ON PREGNANCY:

Not at all! The moment your child is placed in your arms, you instantly become Mommy. It is very real!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having had children both ways (bio and adoption). There is every bit of wonder, miraclous, awe no matter how your baby arrives. I wish everyone could know this! You are a wise woman, but I already knew that :)!

mommy24treasures said...

I second the thought that becoming a mommmy through the miracle of adoption is one of the most wonderful things I have ever had the honor of experiencing. Adoption is a miracle, a gift from God himself.