Thursday, October 11, 2007

Progressive Playdates

Here's the scoop:

We are settling into our new community and Big Sister (BS) is happily attending preschool five days each week. Every day, she comes home with a big smile on her face which lets me know that she is enjoying it. A few days ago, one of the mother's called asking if BS would like to go over to their house for a playdate. I said, "Sure." Then she asked if I wanted her (the mother) to pickup BS and take her home after school, adding that I could come get her after the playdate.

My thoughts on the matter:

*Why would I let a stranger take my daughter home? (I've only met the mother once)

*How nice that BS is making a friend.

*Exactly how many car seats does this woman have in her SUV?

*Does this mean she doesn't want to know me? Why couldn't the invitation include an hour with BS, me and LS?

*Is this the way things happen when your daughter turns FIVE?

The Outcome (so far!):

I told the little girl's mommy that I would feel better taking BS over to her house since it was the first playdate. I drove her over there after school. They live in a very nice house and neighborhood. The little girl seemed happy to see my daughter and they played together for an hour. After the hour, I returned, picked up BS and we all went home.

Insight/Advice?

Okay, other moms out there. Can you shed some light on me? Am I being too overprotective of my precious daughter? Is this how things work with older kids where suddenly Mom is out of the loop and it's just about the child? I'd love to hear from someone whose been there and done that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You cannot be too protective of your pre-school aged daughter! I agree with your instincts on this one.

mommy24treasures said...

oh I don't think you were overprotective at all! Always listen to your heart.

Alex Elliot said...

I have to disagree slightly since I'm from right around where you're currently living. I find it odd out here that playdates occur with parents. Sure when you have a baby, that is understandable and quite frankly the playdates are more for the parents anyhow. However, I distinctly remember going home with other kids after preschool and vice versa. I also think it stems from people being friendlier and more trusting where you're living. All that being said, you can never take your kids' safety too seriously. It sounds like you came up with a wonderful solution that worked well.